This page contains bills sponsored by incumbent Senators who are running for re-election in 2008, plus House incumbents running for Senate in 2008.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on. These bills are selected as the "signature issue" that each legislator focused on.
Signature Legislation: removing African National Congress from terrorist list
A bill to exempt the African National Congress from treatment as a terrorist organization. [The ANC is now the ruling party of South Africa; as head of the ANC, Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years by the apartheid government before becoming President of South Africa].
- For purposes of alien inadmissibility based upon terrorist-related grounds the African National Congress (ANC) shall not be considered to be a terrorist organization on the basis of any act or event that occurred before the date of enactment of such Act.
- Expresses the sense of Congress to exempt the anti-apartheid activities of aliens who are current or former officials of the government of the Republic of South Africa.
- Legislative Outcome: Related bill: H.R.5690; became Public Law 110-257 on 7/1/2008
- Topic: Foreign Policy
- Headline: Remove African National Congress from terrorist list
- Headline 2: Remove African National Congress from terrorist list
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 08-S2979
||s2o||TN Republican Jr Senator|| |
||s2o||NH Republican Sr Senator (retiring 2010)|| |
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: