This page contains bills sponsored by incumbent Senators who are running for re-election in 2008, plus House incumbents running for Senate in 2008.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on. These bills are selected as the "signature issue" that each legislator focused on.
Signature Legislation: requiring small businesses to allow automatic IRA deposits
Source: Women's Retirement Security Act (HR5543/S1288)
Women's Retirement Security Act of 2008: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 to increase the retirement security of women and small business owners. Amends the Internal Revenue Code to:
- require certain small employers who do not provide retirement plans for their employees to allow eligible employees to participate in a payroll deposit individual retirement account arrangement (automatic
- expand eligibility for the tax credit for retirement savings contributions (saver's credit) and make such credit refundable;
- allow part-time employees to participate in qualified cash or deferred arrangements;
- allow the transfer of up to $500 of unused health plan benefits to qualified retirement plans;
- treat wage replacement income (e.g., disability pay or unemployment compensation) as earned income for purposes of IRA contribution limits; and
- allow self-employed individuals to deduct pension plan contributions from their self-employment income.
- Topic: Social Security
- Headline: Require small businesses to allow automatic IRA deposits
- Headline 2: Require small businesses to allow automatic IRA deposits
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 08-S1288
||s2o||Florida Former GOP (until 2010)|
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: