This page contains bills sponsored by presidential contenders.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
Legislation by 2008 Presidential Candidates: renaming "Drug Abuse" institute as "Diseases of Addiction"
Source: Recognizing Addiction as a Disease Act (S.1011)
A bill to change the name of the National Institute on Drug Abuse to the National Institute on Diseases of Addiction; and to change the name of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism to the National Institute on Alcohol Disorders and Health. Congress makes the following findings:
- Addiction is a chronic, relapsing brain disease that is characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use, despite harmful consequences. It is considered a brain disease because drugs change the brain's structure and manner in which it functions. These brain changes can be long lasting, and can lead to the harmful behaviors seen in people who abuse drugs. The disease of addiction affects both brain and behavior, and scientists have identified many of the biological and environmental factors that contribute to the development and progression of the disease.
The pejorative term 'abuse' used in connection with diseases of addiction has the adverse effect of increasing social stigma and personal shame, both of which are so often barriers to an individual's decision to seek treatment.
- NAME CHANGE: Any reference in any law, regulation, order, document, paper, or other record of the United States to the 'National Institute on Drug Abuse', the 'National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism', the 'National Advisory Council on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism', and the 'National Advisory Council on Drug Abuse' shall be deemed to be a reference to the 'National Institute on Diseases of Addiction', the 'National Institute on Alcohol Disorders and Health', the 'National Advisory Council on Alcohol Disorders and Health', and the 'National Advisory Council on Diseases of Addiction', respectively.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 19.
Question 19: Never legalize marijuana
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Drugs
- Headline: Rename "Drug Abuse" institute as "Diseases of Addiction"
- Headline 2: Rename "Drug Abuse" institute as "Diseases of Addiction"
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 07-S1011
||s2o||IA Democratic Jr Senator (retiring 2014)|| |
||s1i||Rhode Island Democrat (until 2010)|| |
||s2o||MA Democratic Senator (until 2009)|| |
||s2o||MI Democratic Sr Senator (retiring 2014)|| |
participating in 07-S1011
||s1i||DE Vice President|| |
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: