This page contains bills sponsored by presidential contenders.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
Legislation by 2008 Presidential Candidates: restricting lobbyist gifts & disclosing info on Internet
Source: Lobbying Transparency & Accountability Act (S.2128/H.R.4975)
EXCERPTS OF BILL:
- Title I: Enhancing Lobbying Disclosure: Requires...
- quarterly instead of semiannual filing of lobbying disclosures reports;
- an annual report on registered lobbyists' contributions;
- maintenance of lobbying information in an electronic database, available to the public free of charge over the Internet;
- disclosure by registered lobbyists of all past executive and congressional employment; and
- disclosure of registered lobbyists' payments or reimbursements for travel and related expenses of government officials.
- Title II: Oversight of Ethics and Lobbying: annual report to Congress on lobbying registration and reports for compliance or noncompliance by lobbyists and their clients.
- Title III: Slowing the Revolving Door - Extends from one to two years the ban on lobbying contacts by former
Members of Congress, and officers of the legislative branch; and prohibits former Congressional employees, within one year after leaving office, from making lobbying contacts with a Member or employee of Congress.
- Title IV: Ban on Provision of Gifts or Travel by Lobbyists in Violation of the Rules of Congress: Prohibits a registered lobbyist from making a gift or providing travel to a Member or employee of Congress, unless the gift or travel may be accepted under the rules of the House or the Senate.
- Title V: Commission to Strengthen Confidence in Congress Act of 2006 - Establishes a Commission to report to Congress on congressional ethics requirements and to recommend improvements to ethical safeguards.
LEGISLATIVE OUTCOME:Referred to Senate Committee on Governmental Affairs; Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar No. 369; never came to a vote.
- Topic: Government Reform
- Headline: Restrict lobbyist gifts & disclose lobbyist info on Internet
- Headline 2: Sponsored bill disclosing lobbyist info & gifts on Internet
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 05-S2128
||s1o||FL Democratic Sr Senator|
participating in 05-S2128
||s1o||CA03 Former Initiator of Gubernatorial Recall (2003)|
||s1o||CT Independent Sr Senator; Gore's VP nominee (Retiring)|
||s1o||Florida Former GOP (until 2010)|
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: