This page contains Congressional resolutions.
Resolutions indicate the topics that legislators care about, but cannot legislate about.
Resolution: the Western Governors' Association resolution:
Source: WGA Policy Resolution 01 - 08: Farm Bill Reauthorization
- The WGA would like to join the National Association of State Departments of Agriculture (NASDA) in proposing a new concept, one that NASDA has dubbed “A New Vision for Agricultural Stewardship.” The NASDA concept calls for the creation of a state block grant program, designed to allow states the flexibility to target resources to their specific conservation and environmental needs. Under the plan, the state departments of agriculture, in conjunction with state and local agriculture and conservation partners, develop priorities to be addressed under their block grant umbrella.
- The NASDA block grant proposal promotes broad flexibility in this development, noting that the block grant can be used to address threats to soil, air, water and wildlife; or be used to meet state or federal environmental regulations; or make “beneficial cost-effective changes to cropping systems, grazing management, manure, nutrient, pest, or irrigation management, land uses,
or other measures needed to conserve and improve soil, water, and related natural resources.” The intent is to not duplicate existing programs, but to give states the ability to address areas of specific need. The funding could even be designated for use in existing state conservation or environmental programs, should a state find that’s where the most need rests.
- Under the Agricultural Stewardship Program, the states would enter into cooperative agreements with USDA on an annual basis and issue annual reports to USDA regarding the progress to date and future intentions.
- While Western Governors feel the program outlined above is extremely important, it must be defined broadly so that Governors may designate a lead state agency, and it must be weighed in conjunction with the need for improvements and adjustments to existing conservation and environmental programs.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 18.
Question 18: Replace coal & oil with alternatives
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Jobs
- Headline: Create block grants for Agricultural Stewardship
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 01-WGA08
||s1s||HI Former Democratic Governor (1994-2002)|
||s1s||CA Former Democratic|
||s1s||OR Democratic Governor|
||s1s||WA Former Democratic Governor (1997-2004); Cabinet (Commerce)|
||s1s||AS00 Former Democratic Governor|
participating in 01-WGA08
||s1s||WY Former Republican Governor (1995-2002)|
||s1s||KS Former Republican Governor (1995-2002)|
||s1s||NV Former Republican Governor (1999-2006)|
||s1o||ND Former Republican Governor (2000-2010)|
|Jane Dee Hull
||s1s||AZ Former Republican Governor (1997-2002)|
||s1s||SD00 Former Republican Governor (1979=1986 & 1995-2002)|
||s1o||NE Former Republican Governor (2005-2007); elected Senator 2008|
||s1s||NM Former Republican Governor (1995-2002)|
||s1s||MT Former Republican Governor (2001-2005)|
||s1s||CO Former Republican Governor (1999-2006)|
||s1s||TX Republican Governor|
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: