Tom Price on Social Security
Republican Representative (GA-6)
Let employers to band together to offer 401(k)s
Private-sector workers save for retirement in a number of different ways, including through Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) and employer-provided 401(k) pension plans. Participants and sponsors of pension plans and other retirement savings plans
receive tax preferences to encourage retirement savings opportunities.
To bring our retirement policies into the 21st century and empower working families, Congress should:
Source: A Better Way: Our Vision for Upward Mobility (GOP Blueprint)
, Jun 7, 2016
- Ensure plans are well-funded and employers remain in the system.
Congress should make sure benefits are secure for workers and retirees and that employers are not discouraged from voluntarily offering these plans.
- Make it easier for employers to band together to offer 401(k)s. Under current law, certain businesses
can join together to offer a retirement plan to their employees, but only under strict circumstances. Congress should eliminate these bureaucratic restrictions.
- Reduce costly red-tape, needless federal regulations, and mandates.
Rated 3% by ARA, indicating a pro-privatization stance.
Price scores 3% Alliance for Retired Americans
Scoring system for 2014: Ranges from 0% (supports privatization and other market-based reforms) to 100% (supports keeping federal control over Trust Fund and Social Security system).
About ARA (from their website, www.RetiredAmericans.org):
The Alliance for Retired Americans is a nationwide organization, founded in May 2001, with now over 4.2 million members working together to make their voices heard in the laws, policies, politics, and institutions that shape our lives. The mission of the Alliance for Retired Americans is to ensure social and economic justice and full civil rights for all citizens so that they may enjoy lives of dignity, personal and family fulfillment and security.
Source: ARA lifetime rating on incumbents of 113th Congress 14_ARA on Jan 1, 2013
- Alliance members visit the polls in record numbers. We use the power of our membership and our Congressional Voting Record to educate and mobilize seniors to elect leaders committed to improving the lives of retirees and older Americans.
We are effectively warding off cuts to our most important social programs like Social Security and Medicare. Our Human Chain Against the Chained CPI events in the summer of 2013 took place in more than 50 cities and mobilized support for stopping this cut to earned Social Security benefits.
- We blocked the privatization of Social Security with our Social Security "Truth Truck" delivering 2.1 million petitions to Members of Congress and other tactics.
- The Alliance makes its voice heard on the issues that matter not just to current retirees, but to all Americans who hope to retire one day. We were a leading voice in recent debates considering changes to Medicare, like replacing guaranteed benefits with a voucher system, and remain so in 2014.
Page last updated: Mar 12, 2019