Gavin Newsom on Principles & Values
S.F. Mayor; former Gov. cand.
Supports Hyde Park Declaration of "Third Way" centrism.
Newsom adopted the manifesto, "A New Politics for a New America":
As New Democrats, we believe in a Third Way that rejects the old left-right debate and affirms America’s basic bargain: opportunity for all, responsibility from all, and community of all.
- that government’s proper role in the New Economy is to equip working Americans with new tools for economic success and security.
- in expanding trade and investment because we must be a party of economic progress, not economic reaction.
- that fiscal discipline is fundamental to sustained economic growth as well as responsible government.
- that a progressive tax system is the only fair way to pay for government.
- the Democratic Party’s mission is to expand opportunity, not government.
- that education must be America’s great equalizer, and we will not abandon our public schools or tolerate their failure.
- that all Americans must have access to health insurance.
- in preventing crime and punishing criminals.
- in a new social compact that requires and
rewards work in exchange for public assistance and that ensures that no family with a full-time worker will live in poverty.
- that public policies should reinforce marriage, promote family, demand parental responsibility, and discourage out-of-wedlock births.
- in enhancing the role that civic entrepreneurs, voluntary groups, and religious institutions play in tackling America’s social ills.
- in strengthening environmental protection by giving communities the flexibility to tackle new challenges that cannot be solved with top-down mandates.
- government must combat discrimination on the basis of race, creed, gender, or sexual orientation; defend civil liberties; and stay out of our private lives.
- that abortion should be safe, legal, and rare.
- in progressive internationalism -- the bold exercise of US leadership to foster peace, prosperity, and democracy.
- that the US must maintain a strong, technologically superior defense to protect our interests and values.
Source: The Hyde Park Declaration 00-DLC0 on Aug 1, 2000
Member of Democratic Leadership Council.
Newsom is a member of the Democratic Leadership Council:
MissionThe DLC’s mission is to promote public debate within the Democratic Party and the public at large about national and international policy and political issues. Specifically, as the founding organization of the New Democrat movement, the DLC’s goal is to modernize the progressive tradition in American politics for the 21st Century by advancing a set of innovative ideas for governing through a national network of elected officials and community leaders.
Who We AreThe Democratic Leadership Council is an idea center, catalyst, and national voice for a reform movement that is reshaping American politics by moving it beyond the old left-right debate. The DLC seeks to define and galvanize popular support for a new public philosophy built on progressive ideals, mainstream values, and innovative, non bureaucratic, market-based solutions. At its heart are three principles: promoting opportunity for all; demanding responsibility from everyone; and fostering a new sense
Since its inception, the DLC has championed policies from spurring private sector economic growth, fiscal discipline and community policing to work based welfare reform, expanded international trade, and national service. Throughout the 90’s, innovative, New Democrat policies implemented by former DLC Chairman President Bill Clinton have helped produce the longest period of sustained economic growth in our history, the lowest unemployment in a generation, 22 million new jobs, cut the welfare rolls in half, reduced the crime rate for seven straight years, balanced the budget and streamlined the federal bureaucracy to its smallest size since the Kennedy administration.
Now, the DLC is promoting new ideas -- such as a second generation of environmental protection and new economy and technology development strategies -- that is distinctly different from traditional liberalism and conservatism to build the next generation of America’s leaders.
Source: Democratic Leadership Council web site 07-DLC1 on Nov 6, 2007
Page last updated: Nov 24, 2017