State of New Mexico secondary Archives: on Principles & Values
Lost campaigns in 1982 and 1988 before winning in 1998
If At First You Don't Succeed... The CQ Roll Call members database reveals that 18 members of the 113th Congress mounted multiple unsuccessful campaigns before finally winning a seat.
AMONG TWO-TIME LOSERS:
- Rep. Steve Stockman, R-TX, elected in
1994, lost primary in 1990, general election in 1992.
- Sen. Tom Udall, D-NM, elected to the House in 1998, lost primary in 1982, general election in 1988
Source: Cong.Quarterly Rollcall mag. on 2014 New Mexico Senate race
Mar 20, 2014
- Rep. Paul Broun, R-GA, elected in 2006, lost general election in
1990, primary in 1992, Senate primary in 1996
- Rep. Colleen Hanabusa, D-HI, elected in 2010, lost primary in 2006, special elections in 2003 and 2010
- Rep. Collin Peterson, D-MN, elected in 1990, lost primaries in 1982 and 1988, general elections in
1984 and 1986.
- Sen. Bernard Sanders, I-VT, elected to the House in 1990, lost general elections for the Senate in 1972 and 1974 and for the House in 1988.
- Rep. Juan Vargas, D-CA, elected in 2012, lost primaries in 1992, 1996 and 2006.
AdWatch: Third generation Air Force
Heather Wilson airs her first TV ad of the 2012 campaign, a biographical ad that focuses on her family's history of serving in the Air Force. The ad is a cut from the three and a half minute web video that Wilson put online last week.
That video has a little more than 1,000 views on YouTube. Transcript:
WILSON: "My grandfather was a pilot in both world wars. My dad enlisted in the Air Force."
NARRATOR: "Heather Wilson. Third generation Air Force."
WILSON: "Leadership, responsibility, integrity. The things I learned in the military are the things Washington needs now."
NARRATOR: "Heather Wilson will stand up to runaway government."
WILSON: "To me, it's a duty. To keep America great, we have to change direction. I'm Heather Wilson and I approve this message."
Source: New Mexico Telegram's 2012 Senate ad review
Apr 30, 2012
Page last updated: Sep 25, 2017