Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harm’s Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 Massachusetts Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 MA Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Bob Massie (16) Massachusetts Democratic candidate for Massachusetts Governor
- Charlie Baker (3) Massachusetts Republican Governor
- Jay Gonzalez (33) Massachusetts Democratic candidate for Governor
- Jesse Gordon (21)
- Setti Warren (33) Massachusetts Democratic Challenger 2018
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Massachusetts 2018 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- Daily Hampshire Gazette, "Homeless shelter funding in Amherst," by Scott Merzbach, Dec. 15, 2017
- Brookline Tab, "Candidates spell out goals," by Susie Davidson, Nov 13, 2017
- WWLP, "Setti Warren sits down with constituents in Amherst," by Tashanea Whitlow, August 4, 2017
- The Foxboro Reporter, "Would-be governor inspires Democrats," by Bera Dunau, July 20, 2017
- Boston Metro, "Baker says mind open on sanctuary status," State House News Service, 7/12/2017
- Commonwealth Magazine, "How You Beat Baker," by Bruce Mohl, Jun 16, 2017
- The Nation, "Climate and Democracy," by Wen Stephenson, June 1, 2017
- Lynn Daily Item, "Warren Campaigns on Transportation Promise", by Thomas Grillo, May 26, 2017
- WGBH Boston Public Radio, "First, He Learned To Walk Again. Now, Bob Massie Is Running For Governor", by Tori Bedford, May 18, 2017
- Boston Herald, "Gonzalez outlines thrust of gubernatorial run," by Jordan Frias, April 26, 2017
- WBUR gubernatorial profile series, by Meghna Chakrabarti, Shawn Bodden & Anthony Brooks, April 25 – June 12, 2017
- WBUR 90.9 FM, NPR radio, "Environmentalist Robert Massie Announces Run," by Ally Jarmanning, April 24, 2017
- Wicked Local Marshfield, "Meet the candidate: Jay Gonzalez", Apr 21, 2017
- MassLive.com, Gonzalez pledges to oppose Trump," by Dan Glaun, Apr 3, 2017
- Boston Herald, "Newton mayor affirms his city’s sanctuary stance," March 30, 2017
- Politico.com, "Massachusetts Playbook," 2/1/2017
- Commonwealth Magazine, "Gonzalez throws his hat in the ring," by Michael Jonas, Jan 30, 2017
- Newton Patch, "Mayors coalition on assault weapons ban," by Alex Newman, Aug 10, 2016
- Time Magazine, "Q&A with Survivor--and Game Changer--Bob Massie," by Stephanie Abrahams, May 15, 2012
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Setti Warren: Require state & local governments to allow abortion coverage.
Jay Gonzalez: Close the federal gap in funding for Planned Parenthood.
Budget & Economy|
Setti Warren: Closed $40M deficit in city of Newton & maintained services.
Jay Gonzalez: Preserved important investments during Great Recession.
Setti Warren: Appointed first transgender member of Newton government.
Setti Warren: Transgender military ban makes us less safe.
Jesse Gordon: Address disproportionate minority arrests & drug problems.
Jesse Gordon: Shouldn't be legal to deny housing for being transgendered.
Jesse Gordon: For Native Americans, replace paternalism with support.
Setti Warren: Make Newton a more hospitable climate for African Americans.
Jay Gonzalez: Hate and discrimination based on sexual orientation isn't OK.
Jay Gonzalez: Continue Massachusetts leadership like on marriage equality.
Bob Massie: Ceres Reporting Initiative: socially rate pension funds.
Jesse Gordon: Nationalize banks, or break up those too-big-to-fail.
Setti Warren: Downgrading of Massachusetts bond rating is a serious thing.
Setti Warren: More parole instead of privatization of prisons.
Jay Gonzalez: Treat underlying conditions that contribute to crime.
Jay Gonzalez: Over-incarceration has terrible costs for society.
Setti Warren: Opposes federalization of police.
Setti Warren: End mandatory minimum sentences for non-violent drug crimes.
Bob Massie: End mandatory minimums for low level drug offenses.
Setti Warren: Combat opioid addiction by funding treatment.
Bob Massie: Supports legal marijuana from local businesses.
Jay Gonzalez: Support addicts and get them on a path to recovery.
Jay Gonzalez: Ok to tweak marijuana law, but the people have spoken.
Setti Warren: Make all public colleges and universities tuition-free.
Jesse Gordon: Incentives for tuition, & retroactively for college loans.
Setti Warren: Invest in new school facilities & classroom resources.
Bob Massie: Charter schools should be limited.
Jay Gonzalez: Take on big challenge of making college affordable.
Jay Gonzalez: Fierce advocate for high-quality early education.
Jay Gonzalez: Opposed expanding charter schools.
Energy & Oil|
Jay Gonzalez: Make Massachusetts the first state to adopt carbon pricing.
Jesse Gordon: Supports wind, solar & alternatives; paid for with a gas tax.
Bob Massie: Ran Sustainable Solutions Lab at UMass Boston.
Setti Warren: Support use of wind, solar, & other renewable energy.
Bob Massie: Transform the state completely by pursuing renewable energy.
Jay Gonzalez: New revenue to fix our broken mass transit system.
Jay Gonzalez: Address water pollution despite Trump administration.
Bob Massie: Climate injustice is another form of social injustice.
Bob Massie: Integrate thinking: environment, transportation, & housing.
Setti Warren: Reinstate Lynn ferry service and extend the Blue Line.
Families & Children|
Jesse Gordon: Provide paid family and medical leave.
Jay Gonzalez: Quality childcare and preschool from birth to age 5.
Jay Gonzalez: Recognize Syrian refugees and others in need.
Bob Massie: Fought apartheid in South Africa.
Jesse Gordon: Include labor & environmental standards in trade agreements.
Bob Massie: Organized people can beat organized money.
Jay Gonzalez: Special interests and big money have no place in elections.
Setti Warren: Supports automatic voter registration.
Jay Gonzalez: Strong campaign finance policies ensure democracy's promise.
Jesse Gordon: Reform campaign finance to stop protecting incumbents.
Jesse Gordon: Why require in-person voting? Why register? Why Tuesday?
Bob Massie: Rigged political system addressed by democratic engagement.
Setti Warren: Public records laws for open and transparent governing.
Bob Massie: Supports same-day voter registration.
Jay Gonzalez: Supports same-day voter registration.
Jay Gonzalez: Ban assault weapons and gun silencers.
Setti Warren: Join 18 mayors in banning assault weapons.
Jay Gonzalez: Medicare for All, regardless of income or employment.
Setti Warren: Health care is a right; support single-payer.
Jesse Gordon: Guaranteed healthcare as a human right.
Setti Warren: Accessible and affordable mental health and dental health.
Setti Warren: Move us towards single-payer healthcare.
Charlie Baker: Opposed Republican bill to eliminate ObamaCare.
Jay Gonzalez: System is fundamentally dysfunctional; we need single-payer.
Jay Gonzalez: Health insurance coverage for low-income residents.
Jesse Gordon: Cut aircraft carriers and military bases abroad by 50%.
Jesse Gordon: Social programs for vets, but not as back-door for military.
Setti Warren: Support sanctuary cities; oppose summary deportations.
Bob Massie: Support Safe Communities over Trump's abhorrent ICE policies.
Setti Warren: Local police shouldn't enforce immigration law.
Jesse Gordon: Protecting DACA and DAPA is a good start.
Jesse Gordon: Supports sanctuary cities, and states, and nations.
Charlie Baker: Open to ideas from Latino advisers on sanctuary state.
Jay Gonzalez: Opposes Trump's Muslim ban.
Setti Warren: Make City Hall an immigrant sanctuary to lead sanctuary city.
Jay Gonzalez: No round-up of immigrants by National Guard.
Jay Gonzalez: Safe Communities: no Muslim registry; no state enforcement.
Bob Massie: Supports $15 per hour minimum wage ballot question.
Setti Warren: Unions let workers fight economic inequality.
Jesse Gordon: Raise minimum wage to $15 in MA; and raise for US also.
Jesse Gordon: Youth jobs programs at municipal & state level.
Setti Warren: $15 minimum wage and paid family leave.
Principles & Values|
Setti Warren: Supports 5 out of 8 of ORMA's "People's Platform".
Bob Massie: Overcame childhood hemophilia, hepatitis, and HIV.
Jesse Gordon: Creative incentives for increasing retirement savings.
Jesse Gordon: Progressive tax system to address concentration of wealth.
Setti Warren: Raise taxes on wealthy; close loopholes.
Bob Massie: Supports "millionaire's tax" with 4% surcharge.
Jay Gonzalez: Supports "millionaire's tax" with 4% surcharge.
Setti Warren: Eliminate tax breaks; wealthy pay their fair share.
Jay Gonzalez: Fair Share Tax: We need additional revenue for services.
Jay Gonzalez: Tax surcharge on incomes greater than $1 million.
Setti Warren: Supports MBTA extension plus high-speed East-West Rail.
Jay Gonzalez: Don't just re-arrange deck chairs on Transportation Titanic.
Setti Warren: Build cross-state rail service.
Jesse Gordon: City-wide WiFi and more, in permanent infrastructure funding.
Setti Warren: Reconstruct roadways; establish innovation centers.
Setti Warren: Public transportation systems are underfunded.
Charlie Baker: Lynn ferry service wasn't worth the $700,000 operating cost.
Jay Gonzalez: High-speed rail between Springfield and Boston.
War & Peace|
Jesse Gordon: Oppose wars of choice, where survival is not at stake.
Welfare & Poverty|
Jay Gonzalez: Address the affordable housing crisis.
Setti Warren: Economic inequality is the defining issue of our time.
Jay Gonzalez: Back to FDR values: good home, school, doctor, & job.
The above quotations are from 2018 Massachusetts Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2017-18 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)