Roll Call e-magazine coverage and analysis of 2014 campaigns
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from RollCall 2014 (number of quotes indicated):
- Bernie Sanders (1) Independent Senator seeking Democratic 2016 nomination
- Colleen Hanabusa (1) Democratic Challenger Hawaii
- Dan Sullivan (1) Republican challenger Alaska
- Jim Oberweis (1) Republican Senate Challenger Illinois
- John Walsh (1) Democratic Senate Challenger Montana
- Larry Pressler (7) Independent Challenger South Dakota
- Michelle Nunn (1) Democratic Challenger Georgia
- Paul Broun (1) Republican Challenger Georgia
- Richard Tisei (1) Republican Challenger U.S. Rep Massachusetts-6
- Roy Blunt (4) Republican Jr Senator Missouri
- Steve Stockman (1) Republican challenger (Lost primary) Texas
- T.W. Shannon (1) Republican Senate Challenger Oklahoma
- Tom Udall (1) Democratic Sr Senator; previously Representative New Mexico
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
EXPLANATORY NOTE by OnTheIssues.org:
Starting well before each election, candidates produce and air politicial advertisements. Since Citizens United took effect, PACs have produced many campaign ads too.
In modern campaigns, ads might be on TV, but also might be via email, web video, Tweets, or other social media.
Political pundit publications, such as The Hill and Rollcall, analyze campaign advertisements as well as campaign events
(although at OnTheIssues we ignore their relentless coverage of polls; since we consider them irrelevant to normal voters and relevant only to pundits!)
OnTheIssues.org reviews those ads and analyses for relevant issue content, including opponents' responses when available. Sometimes we transcribe the ads from video or audio; sometimes we include commentary; all the time, we urge paying attention to the opponent of each advertiser too, to get the full story!
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Larry Pressler: Pay a little more taxes & give up some programs.
Larry Pressler: Supports gay marriage.
Energy & Oil|
Roy Blunt: Every GOP Senator wants Keystong XL pipeline.
Roy Blunt: Executive Orders bypass Congress and the Constitution.
Roy Blunt: More government creates inequality crisis of opportunity.
Dan Sullivan: AdWatch: Washington is broken; including ObamaCare.
Larry Pressler: 5-year path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.
Principles & Values|
Larry Pressler: Former three-term Senator; ran for president in 1980.
Michelle Nunn: Daughter of Sen. Sam Nunn: legacy of bipartisanship.
Richard Tisei: Iconoclast in GOP; former state Senate minority leader.
Jim Oberweis: Milk Dud: poured dairy fortune into 5 failed campaigns.
Bernie Sanders: Lost campaigns in 1972, 1974 & 1988 before winning in 1990.
Colleen Hanabusa: Lost campaigns in 2003 & 2006 before winning in 2010.
Paul Broun: Lost campaigns in 1990, 1992 & 1996 before winning in 2006.
Steve Stockman: Lost campaigns in 1990 and 1992 before winning in 1994.
Tom Udall: Lost campaigns in 1982 and 1988 before winning in 1998.
John Walsh: Appointed to Senate while running in Senate primary.
Larry Pressler: Non-conventional independent campaign to influence debate.
Larry Pressler: 1978: first Vietnam veteran elected to the Senate.
Larry Pressler: Raise taxes on estates worth more than $10 million.
Welfare & Poverty|
T.W. Shannon: AdWatch: Success comes from hard work, not handouts.
Roy Blunt: Obama's "Year of Action" on poverty is "more of the same".
The above quotations are from Roll Call e-magazine coverage and analysis of 2014 campaigns.
2014 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)